Updates from July, 2010 Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts

  • Coane and Associates,PLLC 7:50 am on July 18, 2010 Permalink | Reply
    Tags: avoiding prison, Department of Homeland Security, family based immigration, , green card deportation, Marriage Fraud, USCIS   

    Can you avoid deportation by marrying a U.S. Citizen? 

    The answer is yes . . . and no.  Let me explain.

    First, if you get married after the government has initiated deportation proceedings, you will have to overcome the presumption that your marriage is sham and that the only reason you got married was to avoid being deported.  Before you can even apply for your green card, you’ll have to prove by “clear and convincing” evidence that your relationship was entered into in good faith, and not under marriage fraud.

    Many people get green cards through marriage.  However, the process for getting a green card through marriage while facing deportation is totally different.  You’ll have to file a stand-only I-130 visa petition and specifically request, IN WRITING, an exemption based on a good-faith marriage.  And you can file your I-485 visa petition, if, and only if, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) approve your I-130 visa petition.

    Finally, even if USCIS grants and approves your I-130 petition, you are still under scrutiny.   You’ll have to have an adjustment of status interview before an Immigration Judge who will independently review whether your relationship is a fraud.    This hearing is generally adversarial.  The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is represented by experienced trial attorneys skilled at the art of cross-examination and  will convince the presiding Judge that your marriage is a fraud.   USCIS doesn’t take marriage fraud lightly.   If you are caught, the penalties are severe; you’ll be barred from future visa petitions and face criminal fines of up to $250,000 and five years imprisonment.

    Here’s the bottom-line:  if you are required to appear in Immigration Court and considering marriage as a way to avoid deportation, you should consult with an effective immigration lawyer with considerable experience in courtroom advocacy.  Call me at 713.850.0066 to discuss your immigration case.

    • The Bolens 12:22 pm on July 19, 2010 Permalink | Reply

      Great post! I had no idea, heard about this happening, but definitely a good resource! Have several relatives who live in Malaysia, might have to keep your phone number.

    • Coane & Associates 2:46 pm on July 19, 2010 Permalink | Reply

      Thank you. The immigration judges often approve the green card after the immigration service approves the I-130.

    • desperate for answers 8:00 pm on May 31, 2012 Permalink | Reply

      I still find myself confused with my situation. My fiancee is rom Haiti but he has been here for about 9 years and has his permanent resident card however we are facing some difficulties. Something has happened and there is a chance of him getting deported. Is there something I could do so that doesnt happen? I really need to know, I am desperate. I dont know what to do and I dont have much time or money for that matter to get a lawyer. If you can tell me anything it would be greatly appreciated.

    • Mary 4:12 pm on July 14, 2012 Permalink | Reply

      what if i was already married for ten years before the was arrested by ice for deportation for something that happend before we got married

      • bruce.coane@gmail.com 8:53 pm on July 14, 2012 Permalink | Reply

        Yes, under certain circumstances (with many exceptions) you can avoid deportation by marriage to a USA citizen. Bruce Coane
        713 850 0066 (Monday-Friday)
        Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

    • Anonymous Needs Help 1:09 am on August 18, 2012 Permalink | Reply

      Hi, I’m going to make this as brief as possible. Me and my girlfriend were caught by police smoking marijuana. The found two grams and a pipe in my possession, yet they are charging both of us for possession, even when my girlfriend had not had the bags of marijuana in her possession (and the police didn’t see that she did, either). She is facing deportation.

      We are both 17, and she is turning 18 in a month. Would marriage make a difference, or help in any way?

      Please, if you can help us, immediately provide a comment with any information you can.

    • sany 8:06 pm on February 21, 2013 Permalink | Reply

      I’m an American citizen and I got married to a man from el Salvador that come in illegally and has a deportation pending since 2005. After 4000 dollars in an attorney is when we found out he has a deportation. We have an interview for February 28, 2013 for the I-130 that we wore given, prior to know about his deportation order in 2005. What we do now? Try to cancel the interview? Go to the interview? Will he get deported then? What do we do next?

      Please advice

      • Bruce Coane 8:15 pm on February 21, 2013 Permalink | Reply

        That last post that says “anonymous” was from me. Sorry that it posted incorrectly. Our office number is 713-850-0066.

    • Anonymous 8:13 pm on February 21, 2013 Permalink | Reply

      If your husband is under a final order of deportation, you do not want him to go to the interview because there’s a very good chance he’d be arrested and deported. You need to come see us with his file to see if there’s anything we can do to fix the situation.

    • abel 8:00 pm on March 28, 2013 Permalink | Reply

      I am from el salvador, and came to usa in 2005 when I was 16. When I was crossing the river, inmigration took me over and they let me come in. I never went to court, so now I have a deportation order. Do you think if I get married with a usa citizen, I can avoid deportation?

      • Coane & Associates 10:07 pm on March 28, 2013 Permalink | Reply

        The first step would be to get a copy of your file from Homeland security to see exactly what the record reflects. A deportation order is a very serious matter and all papers must be examined carefully. *Bruce A. Coane* *Coane and Associates, PLLC. * http://www.coane.com

        *Texas Office* *Florida Office** * 5177 Richmond Ave. Suite 770 407 Lincoln Road Suite 11-B Houston, Texas 77056 Miami Beach, Florida 33139 (713) 850-0066 (305) 538-6800

    • ashina 10:05 pm on April 11, 2013 Permalink | Reply

      my boyfriend committed a petit larceny in 2001 (got his greencard in 1998) immigration officers came yesterday and arrested him(12 yrs later), they said although he served 5 yrs probation for the larceny the case was transferred to immigration. They let him go after we posted 4000 bail. They said he is in deportation proceeding. We have a son who is 6 yrs old and I am a US citizen..They kept his greencard and told him to wait for a court date. Would getting married at this point help in his case? The petit larceny was in the value of $1.00 (yes one dollar). Please tell me what you think could possibly be the outcome in this situation.

      • Coane & Associates 1:17 am on April 12, 2013 Permalink | Reply

        Obviously he needs a lawyer to represent him. Without a good lawyer, he could be deported from the country. We’d have to see all his criminal documents and the ICE charging document. Deportation proceedings are very serious.

        *Bruce A. Coane* *Coane and Associates, PLLC. * http://www.coane.com

        *Texas Office* *Florida Office** * 5177 Richmond Ave. Suite 770 407 Lincoln Road Suite 11-B Houston, Texas 77056 Miami Beach, Florida 33139 (713) 850-0066 (305) 538-6800

      • Coane & Associates 9:28 pm on March 3, 2017 Permalink | Reply

        We would love to help. Its never too late for justice. You can reach us at 713-850-0066

    • catheribe 2:29 am on May 15, 2013 Permalink | Reply

      My boyfriend we have a daughter and are enaged mighy deported he got convicted in feb drug dealer but only 1 year he will come out in few months and he still has no has no immigration he is permitted greencard he been here since he was 12 and he 24 now what can I do

    • Lola 10:53 pm on June 11, 2013 Permalink | Reply

      My spouse entered via parents in 1990 with a indefinate visa, he attended high school he is unsure if he was deported or voluntarily departed in 96 or 97 he was 18 at the time. he reentered and we met in 97 we married in 2002, and have 3 kids together. he has 1 conviction of less than an ounce of marijuana back in 08. we cant afford an attorney but would like to be directed in right direction.

    • Stefanie 4:28 pm on June 18, 2013 Permalink | Reply

      My husband and I have been married since 2006 which is the same year he got his green card. He came into the US leagaly in 2004 on a visitors visa to see his father and he met me. In 2008 he got into some trouble and was charged with a misdiminors for simple possesion of marijuana and is now facing his second this year 2013. He is being told by the DA if he is charged and gets probation he will be deported because 2 charges of the crime are grounds to be deported. Is this a scare tactict for him to settle on the terms they want or is this true?

    • Sabrina 2:21 am on July 19, 2013 Permalink | Reply

      My boyfriend has an immigration hold and is currently incarcerated. He is a legal resident who has a drug charge. Would marriage help him from being deported? Or is it too late?

    • lucky 4:30 pm on July 27, 2013 Permalink | Reply

      hi , my boyfriend is facing deportation becoz he claim asylum in 2011 but he dont went to date so he facing deportation ,, i m green card holder next year i will be citizen so tell me my boyfriend can get green card ?

      • Coane & Associates 3:39 pm on July 28, 2013 Permalink | Reply

        If he is eligible for adjustment of status, meaning he has proof of legal entry, and if he doesn’t have crimes that would make him ineligible, you and he can file in August if married, while the visa numbers are current. By September, though, it may be too late due to the visa numbers,so you would need to file right away in August.

        *Bruce A. Coane* *Coane and Associates, PLLC. * http://www.coane.com

        *Texas Office* *Florida Office** * 5177 Richmond Ave. Suite 770 407 Lincoln Road Suite 11-B Houston, Texas 77056 Miami Beach, Florida 33139 (713) 850-0066 (305) 538-6800

      • Coane & Associates 9:23 pm on March 3, 2017 Permalink | Reply

        We would love to help. Its never too late for justice. You can reach us at 713-850-0066

    • Anonymous 5:27 pm on September 5, 2013 Permalink | Reply

      My cousin was pick up by ice he is facing deportation foe a crack cocaine case he was convicted of about 5years ago possesion he also have full custody of hes son is this case worth fighting for does he have a chance of getting a secind chance

      • Anonymous 4:18 am on October 4, 2013 Permalink | Reply

        i am going through the same thing with my boyfiend he just doesnt have drug charges and has custody of both of his kids and the judge told him that she doesnt care. so its really hard but i am in the same boat as you. but what state is he located in? because in ny even though he is in deportation it will take a few years because there is so many cases. but if he hasnt gotten into any trouble or anything like that then they might take that into consideration. but if they do take him the child will be placed in foster care

      • Coane & Associates 9:22 pm on March 3, 2017 Permalink | Reply

        We would love to help. It’s never too late for justice. You can reach us at 713-850-0066

    • Ever 7:43 pm on October 15, 2013 Permalink | Reply

      hi my name is ever, I’m from Honduras i was brought here by my parents when i was 15 in 2003 and i got put in jail for possession of marijuana in 2008 and got deported, the judge granted a voluntary departure and i had a girlfriend at the time and a baby so i got back right away to be with then i came legally again
      now we got married like 2 years and 5 months ago, she is an american citizen as we is my 5 year boy and i have a high school diploma and i been good for all this time hoping one day try to do something about my situacion .. now my question is would i ever be able to become legal? do you think i have any chance?

    • Michelle 10:43 pm on November 26, 2013 Permalink | Reply

      Hi my boyfriend got arrested this weekend and he had court today but his dad hired a lawyer and they reset the trial for next month. His two charges are possession of less than 1 gram of cocaine and tampering with evidence because he was trying to swallow it. He has an immigration hold and I think he has been deported before but we have been together for 2 years and we were going to get married but not under these circumstances. However, we have a three month old son and he has alot of family here. Should I hire an immigration lawyer or are his chances too slim?

      • Coane & Associates 3:31 am on December 3, 2013 Permalink | Reply

        Yes, you can hire an immigration lawyer to review his immigration history and evaluate how he might be able to stay.

        *Bruce A. Coane*

        *Coane and Associates, PLLC.* http://www.coane.com

        *Texas Office* *Florida Office* 5177 Richmond Ave. Suite 770 407 Lincoln Road Suite 11-B Houston, Texas 77056 Miami Beach, Florida 33139 (713) 850-0066 (305) 538-6800

      • Coane & Associates 9:07 pm on March 3, 2017 Permalink | Reply

        Immigration Lawyer could definitely help. We would love to help. You can reach us at 713-850-0066

    • Anonymous 8:55 pm on March 11, 2014 Permalink | Reply

      Hi. My girlfriend and I want to get married soon and I found out her ex-boyfriend reported her to Immigration and Customs Enforcement. He told them that she was going to commit marriage fraud to get a green card. She came to the US legally but her visa expired a few years ago. Will she be arrested or deported if we go to the marriage interview? Appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

      • Anonymous 9:38 pm on March 11, 2014 Permalink | Reply

        One last question. Is there a real chance of marrying her given her circumstance? We don’t want to pay lawyer fees only to find out there was no real chance of marrying her to begin with. Thanks for your help.

      • Coane & Associates 9:06 pm on March 3, 2017 Permalink | Reply

        We would love to help. You can reach us at 713-850-0066

    • Anonymous 7:00 pm on March 13, 2014 Permalink | Reply

      Yes, as long as she’s otherwise qualified and never had a fraudulent marriage, she should be fine. That’s not to say they may not give her a hard time over what her ex had to say.

    • Anonymous 5:24 pm on July 3, 2014 Permalink | Reply

      This is crazy .. you get married for love !!

    • ANONYMOUS 11:29 pm on October 19, 2014 Permalink | Reply

      i have been with my boyfriend for 3 years going on 4 and have a babygirl together we are in love and he just recently went to jail for domestic violence i am going to court in a few days and removing the charges and we still want to be together and we are tryin to avoid deportation for him i am a us citizen will getting married to him avoid him from getting deported ? i am not doing this to avoid him from dportation but because we have talked about getting married since last year and we want to get married very soon just havent had the money to plan the big wedding . please i need answers !!

      • Bruce Coane 10:03 pm on November 26, 2014 Permalink | Reply

        Getting married can certainly help. I’d have to get all the relevant details, but marriage is usually a good starting point.

      • Coane & Associates 9:05 pm on March 3, 2017 Permalink | Reply

        We would love to help. You can reach us at 713-850-0066

    • Anonymous 5:34 am on November 10, 2014 Permalink | Reply

      Me and.my.husband have been married For a year almost two in.august and now have a beautiful one.month baby his was brought to the us when he.was 2 years old.but now.he is locked up For breaking.into.cars and.steeling.people Items And deported after doing.his time.what can he do Is there anything he can do his been here before 1989 pls help This from texas

    • Anonymous 8:35 pm on November 25, 2014 Permalink | Reply

      me and my husband been married for a 9 months. he been in prison for 8 years he has 2 more years go. he is locked up for robbery, and use of firearm but he did not murder no body. and he has burglary and he has ICE deportation . what can I do please help me.

      • Bruce Coane 10:01 pm on November 26, 2014 Permalink | Reply

        ICE might deport him after his sentence, but before they can deport, he could have a trial at the immigration court to try to make legal arguments why he should be able to stay. If you know his entire history, you could make an appointment to meet with me and to bring all of his documents and then I could advise you.

        • Anonymous 4:17 pm on November 28, 2014 Permalink

          Yes I have his legal status summary. But I live in California city of adelanto.

    • Bruce Coane 5:47 pm on November 28, 2014 Permalink | Reply

      We represent clients all over the United States and around the world. You can call my office after the holiday weekend (713.850.0066) and schedule an appointment by phone or Skype.

    • Tam 5:51 am on January 11, 2015 Permalink | Reply

      I am out of status and in deportation proceedings, I have a girl friend of few months and we are thinking of getting married. will that help my change my status or put me in good order? And I’ll be calling soon hopefully you can be my lawyer.

    • Anonymous 5:26 am on April 11, 2015 Permalink | Reply

      My bf did 10 years arrested he got relies n got arrested by the GEO if I get married with him while he is in there it wouldn’t help he stay in California

      • SoStressedOut 2:00 am on May 16, 2015 Permalink | Reply

        I have been seeing someone on and off for the past 3 years.. Recently in January he has told me he Was being charged with drug trafficking and has to turn him self in with in nine days which he has done..currently serving out his one year sentence.. Five months down seven month to go..but he us also facing deportation.. He has been in the united States since he was six months old living fully in the united States work school you name it for 46 years what are the steps he can take in order to not be deported? Could he fight the charges he also has children here in the u.s.a and has never been back to Dominican republic to where he would be deported if it is set any info would be great we thank you in advance SoStressedOut

      • Mary 2:48 pm on March 10, 2017 Permalink | Reply

        I’m in a current situation. May I ask you if you did get married and if you did, was he still deported? Thank you ver much.

      • Mary 2:49 pm on March 10, 2017 Permalink | Reply

        Regarding post…

        “My bf did 10 years arrested he got relies n got arrested by the GEO if I get married with him while he is in there it wouldn’t help he stay in California”

        I’m in a current situation. May I ask you if you did get married and if you did, was he still deported? Thank you ver much.

    • SoStressedOut 4:14 am on May 16, 2015 Permalink | Reply

      I have been seeing someone on and off for the past 3 years.. Recently in January he has told me he Was being charged with drug trafficking and has to turn him self in with in nine days which he has done..currently serving out his one year sentence.. Five months down seven month to go..but he us also facing deportation.. He has been in the united States since he was six months old living fully in the united States work school you name it for 46 years what are the steps he can take in order to not be deported? Could he fight the charges he also has children here in the u.s.a and has never been back to Dominican republic to where he would be deported if it is set any info would be great we thank you in advance SoStressedOut

    • brenda 7:30 am on June 2, 2015 Permalink | Reply

      I from el salvador i enter in 2003 we pass by el paso texas and they let us go through my mom and i.
      Im merry since 2010 and i have a daughter since 2007 my husband is a Usa citizen.
      i have talk to many immigration lawyer and they said that i have to get out 2 yrs is that true?
      I don’t want to try to fix because I pregnant plus now my daughter is 8yr and i dont want to take her with me
      She is born in Arizona.
      What can i do?

    • Anonymous 5:44 am on June 7, 2015 Permalink | Reply

      If you were inspected and admitted in El Paso, you can file for adjustment of status and visa petition. Feel free to contact me at 713.850.0066 and we can schedule an appointment where I can explain in detail.

    • KP 1:36 am on July 8, 2015 Permalink | Reply

      My husband been in the United states for 28 years…. He came legally at the age 11. Him and his sister came on one visa but different passports from Haiti. The immigration is saying they can’t find how he entered.He lost his Visa and passport from moving different places in the U.S. He has no proof and the I-130 has been approved… He has done his biometrics and medical exams. Will he get deported? He was on the deportation list. He has never been in any trouble

    • Yajayra 11:36 am on August 13, 2015 Permalink | Reply

      My husband and I are already marry for about 6 years. I’m a U.S.A citizen but my husband was caught two times in the frontier when he was trying to get in here, this happen when he was very young. The third time he got into the U.S.A and he decided to stay and this is when he met me. We being married for 6 years since than, but we are afraid to do his documents because he might be deport and this process may separate our family. I can’t really see my kids without their daddy he mean the world to them if you can please let me know if i can do anything with his case. He’s the type of person who avoid problems the only tickets he ever have was the traffic tickets.

    • marsh724 4:25 am on August 27, 2015 Permalink | Reply

      hi i am i need of advice my fiance was arrested by immigration because the girlfriend of his ex got him deported, now he is in jail for illegal entery, now he has a clean record, he has us citizen kids w me and his ex,he has been deported twice before, i wanted to know if i become a usa citizen and we get madried can that help him stay, or any thing i can do to help him please my kids are devasted and i need him here

    • concerned 6:44 pm on October 11, 2015 Permalink | Reply

      My son has a girlfriend who entered the us as a legal permanent resident. she has broken the law a couple of times and while in jail, she was transported to an immigration detainment facility. She is in the process of being deported. my son wants to marry her to prevent this. How can I stop him? they met originally as children in school. They begin dating about 1 yr ago when he was still deployed. He returned home a few months ago and that’s when they actually started dating.

    • chantell 4:13 am on November 23, 2015 Permalink | Reply

      husband got deported about 9 yrs ago came back illegally about 5 we got married we have 4 kid’s wicg is biologically both and one son he’s raised plus a step son wich is mine so all together i have 6 children does hestand a chance at fixing anything so he’s legal ?

    • Tasha 3:59 pm on December 6, 2015 Permalink | Reply

      My boyfriend and I have 2 kids and one due this month he is convicted of a felony sentenced 15 months he should be out in 3 months and his lawyer said immigration (might) step in and deport him he said there not involve with his case just yet but to be prepared I was thinking we should get married in jail before the immigration gets involved but I don’t know if that would help us or draw attention what should I do i need him here for are family 👪😢😢

    • Ashley 9:09 pm on March 9, 2016 Permalink | Reply

      So me and this guy has been dating. He is illegal. He crossed the border once and was sent back. Then he crossed the border again. Is it possible for him to become a USA citizen after this?

    • jane 6:53 am on June 8, 2016 Permalink | Reply

      Hi! I came here in a visa waiver program and I overstayed my stay. Just this month I got caught by the customs in El Paso when returning to the other state where I live and the customs said they will release me but need to attend the hearing for deportation. Should I show up? But the thing is I got back with my ex boyfriend and plans to get married. I just need to know if we can change my status if we get married. I want to know coz I don’t want him to be put in a situation where we’ll get married but then I’ll be deported anyways. That’s gonna beunfair to him right?

    • Anonymous 6:51 pm on June 11, 2016 Permalink | Reply

      Everyone should show up to their immigration court hearing. If a person fails to show up, the judge will likely issue a deportation order. This is a very bad thing.

      If a person enters the USA on ESTA or visa waiver and later marries a USA citizen, they can adjust status to a green card if they are otherwise eligible. Deportation order, or exiting and reentering can cause problems and may prevent the adjustment of status (green card).

    • Karen 4:51 am on June 12, 2016 Permalink | Reply

      The father of my children is facing 0 to 20 years for illegal re entry after he was deported for doing 10 years in prison for a felony he caught when he was 17 in California. He’s public defender has advice us that it would be best to go to trial after this coming November 2016. He said my boyfriend had a better chance of a lower sentence. My question is after he does his time and he gets turned in into ICE custody for deportation, and If I become a U.S citizen and marry him would I be able to help him not get deported? We have 4 Children and It is so hard being a single mother. I’m trying my very best to hold it together. I’m desperate and don’t know what to do. I miss and need him so very much. Please any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

    • Tracy 12:34 am on September 29, 2016 Permalink | Reply

      I need advise PLEASE. I am a green card holder (IR1 from previous marriage) I was a green card holder prior to that when I moved to the USA when I was 16 to live with my father in NY. I was out of the USA 1 day over a year when Sept 11 happened. I contacted American consulate and was told to relinquish my green card due to the time I stayed out of the USA. I was engaged to my fiance of 9 years. We married I remembered the USA. To shorten this and get to my point I had divorced my ex husband and I have 2 kids and am engaged to my Fiance of 8 years. Recently discovered my green card expired and my application for renewal is sent in but waiting for my finger printing appt date. I have several misdemeanors for retail theft and I need advice. I have researched that I could face possible deportation due to my misdemeanors. Will marrying my fiance prevent my deportation and prevent my manoeuvring torn apart (2 kids)? Will us getting married while my application is in process be a problem?

    • Dania Borunda 3:35 pm on January 10, 2017 Permalink | Reply

      I delight in the details on your web sites. Thanks a ton!|

    • Jennifer Monroe 3:55 am on March 3, 2017 Permalink | Reply

      We need an AMAZING PRO BONO lawyer who is willing to fight so that my fiance and I, who are working on getting married while he is in jail ,on hold for deportation, will NOT BE SEPERATED. Also, because being Somalian with mental health issues from ptsd AND, a Baptized Christian, if sent back to Somalia, will be killed. PLEASE! I am BEGGING for help for the other half of me that makes me whole!

    • Infidelity Bites 3:33 pm on May 2, 2017 Permalink | Reply

      When a husband routinely ogles and acts playfully towards women, it starts to form an attitude within him that this way of behaving is proper. The truth is, that, lugging this attitude about, is just what leads up to infidelity. Looking at other young women could seem innocent enough, however eventually it will go further than just ogling. What remains in a man’s heart will come out in his actions.

    • Jay 7:20 pm on May 22, 2017 Permalink | Reply

      Need help. I am a u.s citizen, my girlfriend is from the caribbean and flew to the u.s with a, k-1 visa. We were supposed to get married but she committed a crime b4 we did. Can i still marry her?

      • Coane & Associates 7:50 pm on May 24, 2017 Permalink | Reply

        Generally, yes, a USA citizen can still marry a non-immigrant who has committed a crime. There may be immigration issues, however. Feel free to contact my office for an appointment to discuss further. bruce.coane@gmail.com, 713-850-0066, coane.com

    • Melbourne heating and cooling 1:46 am on June 23, 2017 Permalink | Reply

      Hi, I saw you visited my website So i came to “return the favor”.I’m trying to find things to put in my website!I suppose its ok to use some of yours if you don’t mind.

    • Krissy 4:57 pm on July 1, 2017 Permalink | Reply

      Hello, my husband and I have been together since 2011. Got married now for 1 year, have two beautiful kids. Just got probation 1 month ago, now got a misdemeanor not related to the reason of the probation. Now is detained by ICE in US. Do we have hope? I can’t leave my kids with out the father, I can’t. We have everything here, we are home owners, we have everything. 😦

    • Anonymous 9:01 pm on July 13, 2017 Permalink | Reply

      Hi I being here since 1992 got a 9 yr old Daughter & her father is an American citizen if he marry me what are the possibilities he can help me become citizen, being together 14 yes.

    • Robert Durant 11:59 am on September 15, 2017 Permalink | Reply

      If my committed fraud in her country and then came to Mexico illegally and married me and have a child will she get deported

    • TJ 11:12 pm on October 7, 2017 Permalink | Reply

      I’ll try to make this as short as possible. My longtime boyfriend of 22 years (we met when I was 17yrs) was born in Mexico at three years old he is now going to be 50 years old and was deported I believe six years ago. He had a history of criminal activity but that’s a long story to, that’s why they deported him. Both of his parents & I believe his siblings are legal residents here in California. He has a son in his twenties also & was married/divorced right after we met in 1995. Since the new bill passed in our state does he have anyway of coming home? He’s honestly such a good man & helps anyone in need. He’s so depressed over there & works so hard! PLEASE is there ANY INFO that you can PLEASE give us?? Would it help to get married (WHICH CAN DEFINITELY BE PROVEN) which we had planned as soon as he was to be released. His hard working family paid SO MUCH & broke them hiring a lawyer two of them to be exact and neither one of them were able to help him.

    • Coane and Associates,PLLC 2:08 am on October 8, 2017 Permalink | Reply

      Deportation plus criminal activity presents some real problems. We would have to schedule a consultation via phone or Skype so I can get all the relevant facts and then I can provide some options to consider.

      • TJ 2:13 am on October 8, 2017 Permalink | Reply

        Okay THANK YOU for your reply. I’ll contact him & find out exactly what his charges are & why exactly he was deported.

      • TJ 2:14 am on October 8, 2017 Permalink | Reply

        Sorry I didn’t click on the via email reply. Just posting this so I’ll receive them.

    • Brittany 2:03 am on January 12, 2018 Permalink | Reply

      So Glad I came across your site! My boyfriend has recently been released from prison, for a felony offense he committed 9 years ago. His PO recently brought up the fact that he is not a US citizen and that this could cause issues for him. Because he has a felony of aggrevated offense against him, I do not believe good moral character will help him in obtaining citizenship. I myself am a US citizen, if we were to get married, will this help him if it came down to him being deported. I do not think any kind of deportation process has begun quite yet. I am simply trying to understand all his options and sort things before anything serious takes place.

  • Coane and Associates,PLLC 9:42 pm on July 16, 2010 Permalink | Reply
    Tags: EB-1 visa, Filipino immigration, Philippines,   

    USA Immigration from the Philippines 

    I recently spoke at a seminar in Manila , Philippines about immigrating to the USA.  I discussed the various ways that Filipinos can come to the USA to live, work or invest.

    Many Filipinos come to the USA on the B-2 visitor/tourist visa. Sometimes they decide they would like to stay and work or live, but are not familiar with how to do that. There are many ways that an individual can change their status once they are in the USA. For example, they could legally switch to E-2 investor, or H-1B worker status. Other options include F-1 student status or L-1 intracompany transferee. There are many possible options for changing status.

    I also spoke about the EB-1 extraordinary worker visa, for individuals with extraordinary abilities. I met numerous people in the Philippines who could put together meritorious cases in this category, such as doctors, professors, singers, and others. The good thing about the EB-1 is that no sponsor is required, there is no quota problem, and if approved, the person gets an immediate green card to immigrate to the USA.  Some of the job titles that I have had approved for my clients in this category included math teacher, english teacher, flower arranger, physician, car body painter,  geologist, Laotian wedding dress maker, fashion consultant, astronaut, computer expert, etc.

    I also discussed the E-2 investor and immigrant investor categories. These categories allow individuals to come to the USA based on an investment in a business or enterprise. For those with money to invest and a business plan, it is a very realistic way to get immigrant or non-immigrant status in America.

    I plan to continue visiting the Philippines to meet with clients and remain available for consultations which can be scheduled via email at houstonlaw@aol.com .

    • Chieu-Yu Zhwang 10:48 pm on July 30, 2010 Permalink | Reply

      Would like to come to USA to work, how do I start process to migrate? I am a graduate of North China University of Technology.

      • Coane & Associates 3:40 pm on September 1, 2010 Permalink | Reply

        Sorry for the long delay. I was not receiving my blog messages. You can read about immigration on my website, http://www.coane.com . You can also arrange for a telephone consultation by emailing bounnet.vongxay@coane.com . Certainly, as a college graduate , there are many options for visiting, studying and working in the USA.

  • Coane and Associates,PLLC 9:24 pm on July 7, 2010 Permalink | Reply
    Tags: H-1B quota, , ,   

    H-1B working visas still available 

    The immigration service continues to accept H-1B visa applications for specialty occupation jobs (those that require a bachelors degree). The quota opened at 65,000 visas on April 1, 2010, and prior to the recession, the quota would be exhausted by April 2. However, this year (and last year), work visa numbers continue to be available well-past April. In fact, the latest count from the government shows that only 23,500 visa numbers have been requested by sponsoring employers, since April 1, 2010.  The current quota is for H-1B jobs with a start date on or after Oct 1,2010, which is the new fiscal year for work visas.

    • Minh Tran 3:32 pm on September 1, 2010 Permalink | Reply

      Mr. Coane,how does the H-1B work? Is there still availability for them after Oct 1?

      • Coane & Associates 3:37 pm on September 1, 2010 Permalink | Reply

        Yes, the H-1B visa is available for individuals to work in the USA. As you may know, there is a quota, but this year, it has not been an issue. There are still quota numbers available for individuals to start work on or after October 1, 2010. For further questions or assistance, feel free to contact me at 713-850-0066 or 305-538-6800.

Compose new post
Next post/Next comment
Previous post/Previous comment
Show/Hide comments
Go to top
Go to login
Show/Hide help
shift + esc
%d bloggers like this: